Sunday, June 26, 2005

rock and fucking politics, er...roll!

so this is something that kind of sticks in my craw. this morning, while i was making and enjoying my sunday waffles and coffee, the wife happened to have on meet the press (or whatever show tim russert hosts). a segment of it featured an interview with bono about live 8.

i love u2. i once saw 6 concerts one summer, i love them so much. but for some reason i kind of get annoyed by musicians using their celebrity (or anyone for that matter) for political activism. which actually, annoys me that i get annoyed by it. nice circular logic, huh?

why shouldn't people use their celebrity to bring attention to matters that they find important? they're rich because of the adoring public and as such get to experience a lot of things that said public don't have the opportunity to do for themselves. in doing so, they're exposed to shit in the world that bothers them - bono has had a huge bone for africa since the 85 live aid event. he's seen first hand the devastating effects of aids and poverty in the 3rd world and wants others to appreciate the magnitude of the problem. part of me says shut up and sing (although not bullet the blue sky - i've heard that enough. i want some more obsure stuff at the next concert i see). but part of me says good for him....if he and others like him can get lazy fucks like me off their ass to help, then good. i guess it depends on my mood and who the celbrity is. i really hate watching cameron diaz covort around beautiful, yet endangered areas with the likes of jay z or some other fucker. that shit just makes me jealous.

i think i've hurt my head. i should just go back to recapping my vacation.

3 Comments:

At 7:57 PM , Blogger immixmarketer said...

Thanks for the comments...by far the funniest response I've gotten.
I agree with you about bono. I do happen to respect him because at least he talks to Russert and knows what he's talking about, and not to some chick who blew her way to become the host of access hollywood.
What part of PA do you live in?
What type of advertising work do you do, have you done, are looking to do?
Hope to hear from you soon.

 
At 9:55 PM , Blogger Buck Super Stereo said...

i'm an ae (the biz side of things), working for a large, regional shop in harrisburg, pa.

let me think if i've done anything that you'd have seen in chicago. i doubt it....all my clients are PA based right now, or of the ones that do national work, its so targeted, you wouldn't see it unless you read education week or are looking to lease a fleet of trucks. (we didn't do anything with this website so please don't judge - we did brochures and such for their sales force)

my favorite stuff i worked on was for the maryland lottery when i was with eisner communications in baltimore.

i'm aching to work on a true national account, but my shop hasn't cracked that nut yet.
close, but not quite.

what type of marketing do you do from your cube?

 
At 10:39 PM , Blogger dzahn07 said...

Bono did look pretty good this morning, but he gave the same type of answers that the rest of the politicians give on that show. Soft and weak, with no real answers. When asked about the corruption if the US increased its aid to Africa, he didn't have an answer. His response to Russert's comment about the US double and even trippling aid, he wanted a larger percentage of our GDP going towards this. I tend to agree with him, but the corruption can not be overlooked. Just look at the food for oil corruption in the UN.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home